Connections – Reading, Writing, History and Math
An engaging approach to reading, writing, history and math
I’ve discovered that children learn best when they are actively participating in learning. This class will blend many activities to learn reading, writing, grammar, math and social studies through art, drama, projects, and more.
This course encourages learning concepts in these areas:
We will support and strengthen reading skills by:
- Reading a variety of challenging and enjoyable books and materials such as fiction (mystery and adventure), drama, informational texts, poetry, and biography. All students will be challenged to reach their full potential by differentiated activities.
- Increasing comprehension skills such as drawing conclusions and making inferences, summarizing, cause and effect, analyzing character traits, and main idea.
- Increasing vocabulary through games and activities.
- We will develop the craft of writing sentences, stories, poetry, plays, creative pieces, and informational paragraphs.
- As we write we will learn to use correct sentence structure, grammar, and spelling.
We will do activities incorporating concepts about our state and country such as:
- Writing and performing plays about events.
- Writing diary entries that explore the feelings of characters in history.
- Creating a variety of art projects that reflect knowledge of events and characters.
- Discovering what it means to be a good, responsible citizen.
Math skills will be reinforced by:
- Games that sharpen computation skills.
- “Story problems” from books we read and real life.
We will use a variety of methods to develop these skills such as paired activities, cooperative learning activities, games, projects and presentations. Students will be in a small class of 6-10 students. It will be an exciting time to learn together!
Martha has taught elementary children in several Texas cities for 30 years. She attended Lubbock Christian University. She is certified in elementary grades with additional certification in Reading and Language Arts, Gifted and Talented, ESL (English as a second language), and Technology Integrated Learning. Her experience spans 1st thru 5th grades. She has received awards including the “Promoting the Vision” award three times and was selected by her peers as Teacher of the Year at two campuses where she taught.
- Skill level 1st-4th Grades
- Duration 4 hours, 2 days/week
- Schedule Tues/Thurs, 9:00am-1:00pm
- Location Brook Hollow